CASE STUDY // Playing
Belfast City Council
Contractor / Lead Consultant
John McQuillan Contracts | McAdam Design
This is an Urban Villages Initiative project for environmental improvements along an inner city corridor, including new footpaths and cycleways, street furniture, lighting and planting. Our involvement has also included consultation events with residents and key stakeholders.
To date our role has involved:
- appraising the site and its context / adjoining sections of the Greenway, existing survey information and visual analysis techniques
- engaging with local stakeholders and statutory agencies regarding site issues and progress
- preparing a detailed site layout including planting plan and schedules; materials sheets for hard elements
- new and alternative lighting
- paving and new entrance arrangements
- soft landscaping: tree planting removal, and replacement of existing trees, grassed and species-rich grass seeded areas; earth modelling and provision of small events space within grass area
- street furniture and branded signage
- new shared pedestrian/cycle pathway alignment
- new boundary fencing and rebuilding of low boundary walls
The culmination of this project has provided visitors and residents with a safe, welcoming place to enjoy, one that will invite people in, with well-considered signage and wayfinding offering equal access for all.